Following recent updates on the Columbus Centre, I am happy to report that through our shared advocacy efforts, the Minister of Education has affirmed their support of saving the Columbus Centre.
Photo: Bringing community concerns to the Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) about plans to demolish the Columbus Centre
Education Minister Indira Naidoo-Harris has issued a letter dated February 14, 2018 on this matter that:
- Recognizes the historical significance of Columbus Centre and its importance to Ontario's Italian-Canadian community
- Considers City Council's Heritage Review of Columbus Centre buildings
- Suggests that the TCDSB move forward with an alternative proposal
- States that the Ministry of Education will not support a school project that allows for the demolition of the historic Columbus Centre
- Offers to work with TCDSB to use current funding to support a project that will not affect the Columbus Centre
"I am writing to inform you that the Ministry of Education will not support a school project that allows for the demolition of the historic Columbus Centre."
- The Honourable Indira Naidoo-Harris
Minister of Education
I want to thank everyone for their hard work and commitment in our ongoing advocacy to preserve the Columbus Centre. It is through your efforts that this victory was achieved. Please be assured that I will continue to update you as this process continues.
As always, if you have any City-related questions or concerns, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-392-4027.
City Councillor, Ward 15 Eglinton-Lawrence